Yield: One 20x10x10 cm loaf
280g bread flour 高筋面粉
20g top flour 低筋面粉
130g fresh milk 鲜奶
60g whipping cream 动物性鲜奶油
20g condensed milk 炼乳
25g egg, beaten 蛋，打散
40g fine sugar 细糖
1/4 heap tsp salt 盐
1 tsp instant dry yeast 速发干酵母
30g softened unsalted butter 无盐奶油， 软化
1. If you are using cold milk, keep warm the fresh milk, whipping cream and condensed milk in a rice cooker for 10 minutes.
The temperature should not exceed 38 degree Celsius in order not to affect the yeast.
2. Pour all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl, except the butter. Mix well.
3. Pour in the milk mixture from (1), and beaten egg. Stir in one direction to mix the ingredients into a lump which pulls away from the wall.
4. Cover the dough with a lid and let the dough rest for 15 minutes. This allows the flour to absorb the liquid which would make kneading easier later.
5. Wear a pair of CPE gloves to handle the sticky dough. Start kneading the dough by slamming, pulling and folding, for about 15 minutes, or till the dough become smooth and elastic.
The stickiness would reduce after about 1 to 2 minutes into kneading.
Slam and pull;
6. Spread out the dough and apply softened butter to the dough.
7. After incorporating the butter to the dough, grab one end of the dough and slam it against the work top. Fold in, grab the adjacent end and repeat the process. Knead well for another 10 to 15 minutes till the dough can be stretched into a membrane.
8. Pull down the side of the dough and tuck into the bottom. Store the dough in a clean mixing bowl. Spray some water and cover with a lid. Allow the dough to proof for about 1 hour, or till it doubles in size.
9. After the dough has double its size, transfer it to the work top. Press down to release the trapped air.
10. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions (about 300g each). And shape them into balls. Apply some flour onto the dough before placing in a bowl to rest for 15 minutes.
11. Flatten the dough and roll into a long flat dough.
Flip the dough over with the smoother side facing down.
Fold in the two liking sides to meet at central line
Roll flat the dough and roll up the dough.
12. Place the dough rolls into a loaf mould lightly coated with butter.
13. Allow the dough to proof in a closed oven for about 60 to 80 minutes till the mould is about 90% filled .
14. Remove from the oven and apply a thin egg wash onto the dough surface.
Preheat the oven to 170 degree Celsius for about 10 minutes.
15. Bake the bread dough for about 38 to 45 minutes, at lower shelf of the oven, till cooked.
16. Turn out the loaf onto a cooling rack immediately after leaving the oven.
17. After the loaf has completely cooled down, slice it with a bread knife. Enjoy :)
Recipe adapted from