Yield: one 18cm round cake
Best fit in 16cm (6") mould
20g cake flour
20g corn flour
50g fresh milk
3 egg yolks
1 tsp lemon juice
80g cream cheese
70g fresh milk
10g fine sugar
2 egg white, fridge cold
1/2 tsp lemon juice
30g fine sugar
1. Lightly coat a 18cm springform tin with butter, then line with parchment paper. Wrap the base with aluminum foil. Set aside.
2. Mix cake flour with corn flour.
3. Sieve the flour mixture into a mixing bowl filled with 50g fresh milk. Stir with a hand whisk to mix. Avoid over mixing.
4. Stir in egg yolks and 1 tsp of lemon juice. Cover and set aside as Batter A.
5. Heat up Batter B ingredients over a hot water bath. Stir till all the cream cheese melts into a smooth paste.
6. Remove Batter B from the water bath. Add Batter A into Batter B and mix well. Cover and set aside.
7. Add cold egg whites to a clean, dry and grease-free mixing bowl. Whip egg white till frothy, then add in 1/2 tsp lemon juice and 1/3 of the fine sugar. Gradually add in the remaining sugar in the process of whipping.
Whip at medium high speed till soft peaks formed (the tip of the egg white slightly bent when you lift up the whisks.)
Towards the end of the whipping process, use low speed to beat ,in order to get a finer texture.
8. Scoop about 1/3 of the meringue to mix with the yolk mixture in (6). Blend till smooth.
Pour the mixture back to the remaining meringue. Fold in with a spatula.
9. Pour the batter into the cake tin. Give the tin a few light taps to get rid of trapped air bubbles.
10. Place the cake tin in a bigger tray. Pour boiling water into the tray to a height of about 1 cm.
11. Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius for 15 minutes or till the top of the cake slightly brown; reduce the temperature to 120 degree Celsius and bake for 40 minutes. If you want a darker crust, you can increase the top heating coil temperature to 150 degree in the last 5 minutes.
12. After the cake has been baked, remove the cake from the cake tin immediately.
13. After the cake has cooled down, refrigerate the cake for 4 hours before cutting. Enjoy the cake cold :)
Recipe adapted from page 190~3 of