Springy pancake with gula melaka/palm sugar shredded coconut filling. Another popular pancake flavour besides the peanut filling :)
Yield: 4 servings
Coconut filling椰丝内馅 (150g)
100g grated coconut, room temperature
30~50g gula melaka/palm sugar 椰糖*
2 tsp red sugar 红糖 (optional 可免)
Pinch of salt 盐
25g water 水
1 pandan leaf (optional) 香兰叶
1/2 tsp glutinous rice flour 糯米粉
1 tbsp water to mix with glutinous rice flour 水，用来调糯米粉成糊
* reduce the gula melaka quantity if you prefer a lesser sweet filling.
1. Dissolve gula melaka, red sugar and salt in 25g of water with pandan leaf under medium heat. Stir regularly.
2. After the gula melaka syrup starts to boil, stir in the grated coconut and mix well.
3. Finally pour in the glutinous rice water and blend well. Stirring regularly till the mixture becomes dry and sticky.
100g warm water
30g raw sugar
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
100g fresh or low fat milk
20g beaten egg
1/8 tsp salt
130g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vegetable oil
1. Add warm water, less than 40 degree Celsius, to raw sugar. Then sprinkle instant dry yeast over the surface of the water without stirring it. Set aside for 5 minutes till the mixture form a foamy layer at the surface.
2. Pour in milk, beaten egg and salt.
3. Mix baking soda with all purpose flour, then add to the batter in (2). Stir to mix.
4. Add in 1 tsp of rice bran oil or any low flavour vegetable oil. Stir to mix.
5. Cover with a lid and let it proof for about 50 to 60 minutes.
3. The batter will double in size at the end of the proofing.
4. Give the batter a few stirs before pouring into a preheated flat base non-stick pan. You can apply a thin coat of oil over the pan, including the edge, beforehand. Heat over medium low heat for about 10 to 12 minutes, or till the edge of the pancake starts to shrink away from the wall of the pan.
While the batter is still wet, lift up the pan and swirl a few rounds so the batter will coat a upright skirting along the edge.
5. Shift the pan every 1 to 2 minutes to ensure even heating.
6. When the pancake is ready, the edge will pull away from the wall of the pan. Run a spatula round the edge to loosen the pancake from the pan.
Fold the pancake into half and transfer to the cutting board.
8. After the pancake has cooled down slightly, slice it with a long bread knife.
9. Enjoy :)
If you are not eating the pancake immediately, wrap the pancakes individually with food wrap, to keep them moist :)