It's the same melt-in-your-mouth recipe, but with a different "outfit". The elongated cylinder shape allows me to imprint some good and short symbolic words, which signify good fortune, onto it $$ ^^ $$
Yield: about 52 tarts
300g all purpose flour
25g custard powder
1/2 tsp salt
200g unsalted butter, softened
40g icing sugar
1 egg yolk
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
600g pineapple paste
Click the link for homemade pineapple paste recipe:
1. Shape pineapple paste into balls, about 10 to 12 g each, and keep in a glass container till needed.
Wet your hands slightly can prevent the pineapple paste from sticking to your hands, and make shaping easier.
Keep the unused pineapple balls in the fridge.
2. Mix all purpose flour, custard powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Cream softened butter till light and fluffy.
4. Add in icing sugar and mix well.
5. Add in egg yolk and vanilla essence. Mix well.
6. Fold in the flour mixture from (1) in a few batches. Do not over mix.
7. Split the cookie dough into two portions, about 294g each. Store in a sealed container in a fridge for about 1 hour. You can also keep them overnight.
By dividing into two portions, you can have the option to bake the second batch in a later date.
8. Take out the cookie dough and pineapple balls about 1/2 hour before moulding.
9. Take a portion of the cookie dough, about the size of the pineapple ball, and flatten using your hands. Place the pineapple ball in the middle of the dough and wrap it up.Wearing a pair of disposable gloves will prevent the dough from sticking to your hands, and make shaping easier.
10. Place the ball in the middle of a plastic sheet/bag, and fold the plastic sheet over. Use a dough cutter to gradually push the ball forward from the base. The ball will gradually extend towards both ends. Stop at about 3 cm length.
Shape both ends before transferring to a non-stick baking tray.
11. Imprint the the dough with good "word" or patterns, if you are having.
12. Apply a thin coat of beaten egg over the dough.
Just learned: strain egg yolk with condensed milk to get a smooth egg wash. Shall use this next round ^^
13. Bake in a preheated oven set at 180 degree Celsius for about 20 to 22 minutes in the middle rack.
14. Let the cookies cool down before storing them in an air tight container :)
The cookie is very soft when hot, so let it cool down before transferring it ^^