Re-posting from 19 Jan 2014 post
This cookie is one of the traditional snacks enjoyed by Singaporean and Malaysian Chinese during the lunar new year festive. It has a crispy crust and a soft centre. Using simple ingredients like eggs, sugar, flour and vanilla essence.
My mother used to make this mini vanilla sponge cake using a heavy brass cake mould with a lid about 40 years ago. She would bake the mini sponge cake over a charcoal stove. In order to bake the top, she would place a few amber hot charcoal over the brass lid. It was a tedious process. This baking method gave the sponge cake an unique charcoal frangrance.
Nowadays, these mini sponge cakes are either baked in oven or with an electric cake mould. With the help of an electric hand mixer and oven, the process has been largely simplified.
Yield: about 25 to 28 mini round cake
2 eggs, room temperature
70g fine sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
70g all purpose /cake flour
1/2 tsp rice flour
1/2 tsp 香草精
1/2 tsp 粘米粉
1. Mix cake or all purpose flour with rice flour in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Beat egg in a clean mixing bowl at medium speed till frothy (about 1 minute).
3. Add in fine sugar and beat at medium high speed till ribbon stage. The batter can leave an '8' trail that can stay for a few seconds. This process takes about 5 minutes to achieve.
4. Add in the vanilla essence.
5. Sift in the flour and mix well using a pair of whisks. Finally use a spatula to give a more thorough mixing.
Avoid over mixing.
6. You may use a batter dispenser to dispense the batter to the cake mould. Or, pour the batter into a piping bag fixed with a round nozzle for easy dispensing.
7. Brush the mini cake mould with coconut oil or vegetable oil.
8. Pour the batter into the mini cake mould to about 4/5 full.
9. Place the cake mould at the lower rack of a preheated oven set at 180 degree Celsius for about 20 minutes or till the surface turns golden.
When the cake is cooked, the edge will shrink away from the cake mould.
10. Use a skewer to help you take out the mini sponge cakes.
You can return the SpongeCake to the oven to bake for an extra 5 minutes, with the bottoms facing up to get a crispier crust.
11. Allow the mini sponge cake to cool down before keeping in an air tight container. This helps to keep the sponge cake crispy for a longer period.