This is another of my home-baked and hand-kneaded bread - sweet corn bread with sugar and almond flake topping. The bread has been added with natural yeast for that extra aroma and springy texture.
Store bought sweet corn breads are usually yellow. However, for home baked corn bread, the yellow colour is not so intense. Therefore, for commercial corn bread, you are eating something more than the corns. For that extra effort at home, you are certain you are reaping the goodness of corns, but not the other additives :)
Bread weight: 485g
Raw dough weight: 481g
Mould size: 25L x 8W x 9H cm
All ingredients in room temperature
35g fresh milk 鲜牛奶
15g condensed milk 炼乳
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast 速发干酵母
50g fresh milk 鲜牛奶
50g steamed corn kernels 蒸玉米粒
30g softened unsalted butter 回温无盐奶油
40g fine sugar 细砂糖
20g beaten egg 蛋液
1/4 tsp salt 盐
200g bread flour 高筋面粉
15g top/cake flour
40g natural yeast
1. Feed natural yeast and use within 3 hours after feeding.
The active natural yeast should be able to double its volume within 1 hour after feeding.
Click the link below for cultivating natural yeast:
2. Mix 35g fresh milk and 20g condensed milk in a bowl. When the mixture returns to room temperature, sprinkle 1/2 tsp of instant dry yeast over the surface.
Without stirring the yeast, cover and let the ingredients rest for 15 minutes.
The yeasts have been activated and the surface becomes frothy after the 15-minute wait.
3. Steamed corn kernels at high heat for 12 to 15 minutes.
You may want to add a pandan leaf to the corns while steaming to give them a sweet scent.
4. Wait for the steamed corns to cool to room temperature. Blend 50g of corn kernels with 50g of fresh milk in a food processor till creamy.
6. Stir to combine the ingredients into a lump. Let it rest for 30 minutes to allow the flour to fully absorb the liquid.
7. As the dough may be quite sticky, wearing a CPE disposable gloves would make kneading easier. Knead the dough by slamming, pulling, and folding the dough, until the dough becomes smooth and slightly glossy.
This process takes about 10 minutes.
8. Spread out the dough and apply softened butter onto it. Knead to incorporate butter into the dough.
9. Continue to knead till you can stretch out the dough or reaching the window pane stage.This takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
10. Shape the dough into a ball by pulling down the sides several times, till the dough surface is stretched and smoothened, and seal at the bottom.
Place the dough in a lightly greased mixing bowl.
11. Spray some water over the dough, cover with a lid and let it proof for about 60 minutes, or till the dough double in size.
12. At the end of proofing, turn out the dough onto a floured surface and flatten the dough with your palm.
14. Roll up the individual doughs and shape into balls by pulling down the side of the dough, and seal at the bottom.
15. Roll the dough into a flat dough.
16. Arrange the dough in a loaf pan lined with baking paper. Spray some water and let the dough proof in a warm oven for about 40 to 60 minutes, or when the dough almost double in size.
17. Remove the baking pan from the oven. Start to preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
18. Brush some beaten egg,
and sprinkle some fine sugar over the top.
19. Bake in a preheated oven set at 180 degree Celsius, at lower rack for about 18 to 20 minutes, or till the bread turns golden.
20. Transfer the bread out of the oven and lift out the bread from the loaf pan.
21. When the bread has completely cooled down, slice it into thick slices and enjoy :)