Recently I've been on handkneading spree. Maybe when the weather was cooler, hand kneading seemed not so taxing. Really enjoyed the softer and smoother texture of the crumb. I was happy to be able to label these breads as "home baked and hand kneaded" (^_^)v
The soft and sweet corn breads stuffed with mozzarella cheese, and topped with golden cheddar and Parmesan cheese crust. A thin layer of honey syrup was applied to the crust to give it a glossy coat :)
A gentle reminder: the dough needed a longer proofing time as part of the instant dry yeast was substituted by natural yeast. But the longer wait was worthwhile :)
Yield: 9 buns
Raw dough weight: 473g
A powerful blender 强力搅拌器
All ingredients in room temperature
35g fresh milk 鲜牛奶
15g condensed milk 炼乳
1/4 tsp instant dry yeast 速发干酵母
50g fresh milk 鲜牛奶
50g steamed corn kernels 蒸玉米粒
20g softened unsalted butter 回温无盐奶油
40g fine sugar 细砂糖
20g beaten egg 蛋液
1/4 tsp salt 盐
200g Prima bread flour 高筋面粉
15g Prima superfine wholegrain flour 超细全谷面粉
40g natural yeast 天然酵母
60g mozzarella cheese
Some beaten egg for glazing
60g shredded white cheddar cheese
10g grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp golden syrup/honey
1 tsp hot water
1. Feed natural yeast and use within 3 hours after feeding.
The active natural yeast should be able to double its volume within 1 hour after feeding.
Click the link below for cultivating natural yeast:
2. Mix 35g fresh milk and 20g condensed milk in a bowl. When the mixture returns to room temperature, sprinkle 1/2 tsp of instant dry yeast over the surface.
You can do this step while waiting for the natural yeast in step (1).
Without stirring the yeast, cover and let the ingredients rest for 15 minutes.
The yeasts have been activated and the content becomes foamy after the 15-minute wait.
3. Steamed corn kernels at high heat for 12 to 15 minutes.
You may want to add a pandan leaf to the corn kernels while steaming to give them a sweet scent.
4. Wait for the steamed corns to cool to room temperature. Blend 50g of steamed corn kernels with 50g of fresh milk in a food processor till creamy.
5. Mix all ingredients, except the butter, in a mixing bowl.
6. Stir to combine the ingredients into a lump. Let it rest for 30 minutes to allow the flour to fully absorb the liquid.
7. As the dough is quite sticky, wearing a CPE disposable gloves would make kneading easier. Knead the dough by slamming, pulling, and folding the dough, until the dough becomes smooth. This process takes about 10 minutes.
Knead the dough till it becomes smooth and a little glossy.
8. Spread out the dough and apply softened butter onto it. Knead to incorporate butter into the dough.
9. Continue to knead till you can stretch out the dough to reach the window pane stage. This takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
10. Shape the dough into a ball by pulling down the sides several times, till the dough surface is stretched and smooth, and seal at the bottom.
Place the dough into a clean mixing bowl lightly greased.
11. Spray some water over the dough, cover with a lid and let it proof for about 60 to 75 minutes.
12. At the end of proofing, turn out the dough onto a floured surface and flatten the dough with your palm.
14. Roll up the individual doughs and shape into balls by pulling down the side of the dough, and seal at the bottom.
15. Roll the dough into a round flat dough.
Add about 5 to 6g of mozzarella cheese in the middle.
Wrap up the dough and seal at the base. Place the dough in a paper mould.
16. Arrange the dough over a tray. Spray some water and let the dough proof in a warm oven for about 50 minutes, or when the dough almost double in size.
17. Remove the baking pan from the oven. Start to preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
18. Brush some beaten egg, and place cold shredded white cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese over the surface.
Keep the shredded cheese in the fridge till needed. Cold shredded cheese is not as sticky as room temperature cheese, so it's easier to spread out. Cold cheese also prevent it from browning too fast during baking.
19. Bake in a preheated oven set at 180 degree Celsius, at middle rack for about 18 to 20 minutes, or till the cheese turns golden.
20. While the bread is baking, prepare the honey glazing syrup.
21. Transfer the bread out of the oven and apply honey glazing syrup over the cheese immediately.
Enjoy the cheesy corn bread warm :)