I used to discard the winter melon skin after cooking the pork ribs winter melon soup. Not any more after I realised I can utilize the skin to brew a pot of tasty brown sugar winter melon tea for the family 🍹😋
200g winter melon skin
1 blade pandan leaf
1 seedless red date
950∼1000 ml water
35g dark brown sugar
30g yellow rock sugar
1. Wash and trim off the skin from the winter melon.
2. If you would only brew the tea in the next day, keep the winter melon skin , a red date, and a blade of pandan leaf in a plastic bag or container. Refrigerate till before cooking.
For immediate preparation of the tea., you can skip this step.
3. Pour 950 to 1000ml of water in a pot. Follow by winter melon skin, red date and pandan leaf. Bring to a boil for about 5 to 10 minutes.
4. After the 5 to 10 minutes of boiling, add dark brown sugar and rock sugar. Turn down the heat and let it brew for about 30 to 45 minutes.
6. Let the tea cool down slightly before filtering it.
Serve it warm or cold 😋🍹