Using my new-found low-butter chiffon cake recipe as a base, I continue to explore another popular cake flavour - pandan chiffon cake. This is another low-fat chiffon cake with great natural pandan flavour and natural green hue. The cake has a soft and moist texture despite its low fat content 😋
Yield: One 6" round cake
Pan size: 6x3" round pan
Baking Temperature: 140°C for 30 minutes ➡ 170°C for 12 to 15 minutes
All ingredients in room temperature, otherwise stated
Using 55g Omega 3&6 eggs
6~8g pandan leaves 香兰叶, about 2 medium size leaves
45g hot water 热水
20g rice bran/mild flavour vegetable oil 米糠/植物油
15g condensed milk 炼奶
55g top/cake flour 低筋面粉
5g milk powder 奶粉
3 egg yolks 蛋黄
3 egg whites 蛋白
Pinch of fine salt 细盐
45g fine sugar 细砂糖
1. Line the base of an 6" round cake mould with parchment paper. Need not grease the side.
2. Sieve top/cake flour and milk powder into a bowl. Set aside.
3. Cut pandan leaves into strips and pour hot water to soak for about 10 minutes.
After cooling down, blend in a food processor till the pandan leaves become a smooth puree.
Collect 45g of the pandan puree and mix with 15g of condensed milk in a heat resistant bowl. Top up 20g of vegetable oil over the pandan mixture.
Place the bowl of pandan-milk mixture in a rice cooker, and turn on the "Keep Warm" function for about 10 minutes to warm up the content.
After about 10 minutes.
4. Take out the warm content and pour in the sifted flour mixture from (2) immediately. Combine using a spatula into a smooth pandan-milk paste.
Cover and set aside.
6. In a separate, clean and grease-free mixing bowl, add a pinch of fine salt to egg whites. Beat egg white to frothy, then starts to add 45g of sugar gradually. Beat at high speed till almost stiff peak state.
Reduce the mixer speed to low at the final 1 minute. Set aside.
7. Add about 1/3 of the meringue to (6) and mix well.
8. Pour (7) back to combine with the remaining meringue. Fold to combine into a smooth batter.
9. Pour the batter into the prepared 6" round cake pan. Tap the pan against the work top to remove any trapped air bubbles.
When the bake rises to almost reaching the rim of the cake mould, increase the temperature to 170° Celsius for about 12 to 15 minutes.
11. Remove from oven and drop the cake with the pan, 3 times over a cloth. And invert the mould immediately over a wire rack to cool down for about 25 minutes.
12. Jiggle the pan to dislodge the cake, then invert the cake out.
After inverting out the cake, let the cake dry in a warm oven for about 15 minutes.
This step is optional.
13. Allow the cake to cool down completely before cutting 😀